This is user documentation for OpenSimulator, mainly aimed towards administrators of the system rather than the ultimate end-users who access the environment through a viewer. If you can’t find what you want here you might want to try looking in the Developer Documentation.
For a summary of what features have been implemented in OpenSimulator, please see the Feature Matrix.
- Download – Download instructions
- Dependencies – The other packages you need to install that OpenSimulator relies upon
- Build Instructions – How to build and compile OpenSimulator from source
- Configuration – How to configure OpenSimulator so you can get the server up and running
- Configuring Regions – More details on configuring regions in Regions.ini
- Configuring Simulator Parameters – More details on the structure and configuration simulator parameters after the initial setup.
- Direct Service Requests – Details on how some requests that are by default handled by the viewer (e.g. GetTexture capability) could instead be handled directly by the service.
- Shared Services Configuration – An approach for sharing user, asset and inventory services between two otherwise separate grids.
- Database Settings – Detailed configurations to connect to your database
- Map – Information on configuring OpenSimulator to serve map tiles.
- Estate Support – Information about estates in OpenSimulator.
- Economy – Information (incomplete) on setting up the economy aspects of OpenSimulator (e.g. land sales).
- UserProfiles – Information on enabling the user profiles support included with OpenSimulator 0.7.6 onwards.
- Upgrading – How to upgrade your OpenSimulator version so that you can use your existing data
- Network Settings – NAT, Ports, Services and more.
- Firewall Settings – Incomplete operating system specific instructions on how to open firewall ports for external OpenSimulator access.
- Tips – Useful tips from users like you
- OpenSim Graphics – Graphics that can be used on OpenSimulator websites, viewer login pages or products.
- FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
- Troubleshooting – General troubleshooting tips and links to other pages.
- Appearance Troubleshooting – Troubleshooting appearance specific issues (cloudy and grey avatars).
- Connecting – How to connect a compatible viewer to OpenSimulator.
- Glossary – A glossary of terms used in OpenSimulator.
- Server Commands – Commands to control OpenSimulator
- OpenSim.exe Command Line Options – Switches when you launch OpenSimulator.
- Directory Structure – Information about OpenSimulator’s directory structure.
- Useful Queries – Some useful queries for manipulating the OpenSimulator database.
- Logging – Logging in OpenSimulator
- Monitoring – Monitoring OpenSimulator
- Threading – Information on the way that threads are used in OpenSimulator, including information on the thread tracking report.
- Automating Tasks – How to make administrating a walk in the park
- RestConsole – Using the remote console.
- Performance – How to tweak OpenSim’s performance and some tips on scaling.
- Console-less OpenSim – How to run OpenSimulator without console
- Backups – How to backup your OpenSimulator data.
- AssetCache – Information about OpenSimulator’s asset cache.
- RemoteAdmin – Using the XMLRPC administration interface for executing commands remotely.
- AuthIntegration – How to integrate external systems (such as web frontends) with OpenSimulator.
- UserManipulation – How to create users in OpenSimulator via external calls through ROBUST (only available when running in grid configuration).
- CABP And Attachments Manipulation – How to change clothing and body parts on offline avatars via ROBUST service calls.
- Known Web Interfaces within OpenSim – The set of CAPS, XMLRPC, or REST entry points in the project.
This is a section for pages that relate to OpenSimulator use in various scenarios (e.g. education, small closed grid, etc.). Currently under development. Please feel free to add areas.
- Education – Specific OpenSimulator resources and settings for education.
- Feature Matrix – Matrix of features currently implemented by OpenSimulator.
- Access Control – Controlling user access to OpenSimulator.
- Attachments – Some information about avatar attachments.
- Scripting Documentation – Everything you need to know about OpenSimulator scripting, and the list of sample scripts
- ScriptEngines – Information about OpenSimulator’s script engine.
- OpenSim Archives – Loading and saving whole region archives with OpenSimulator
- OpenSimulator Inventory Archives – Loading and saving user inventory items and folders with OpenSimulator
- NPC – Use of Non Player Characters (NPCs) in OpenSim, also known as bots.
- Custom Libraries – Describes how to add custom content to your OpenSimulator server
- IRCBridgeModule – A core OpenSimulator module for integrating IRC with a simulator.
- Hypergrid – Information about how to configure the experimental hypergrid architecture
- GridInfo – how to provide information about your grid to smart clients
- PhysicsEngines — Options for physics engines in OpenSimulator.
- Media On A Prim – Media on a prim (shared media) functionality in OpenSimulator.
- Varregion – Support for regions greater (or smaller!) than 256m x 256m. Requires a compatible viewer.
- Technical Reference – Technical Reference Guide
- AutoBackup – Module for automatically backing up a region to an OAR regularly using a different filename.
- Freeswitch Module – Using FreeSWITCH for voice in OpenSimulator.
- Mumble – Using Mumble/Whisper for voice in OpenSimulator.
- Enabling Groups – How to enable creating groups in your regions
- JsonStore Module – Module for storing and sharing structured data among region modules and scripts
- Offline Instant Messaging – module to store and later replay instant messages received by users that are offline.
These are features that should no longer be used if possible and will be dropped in a later release.
- Setting Up Mega-Regions – Instructions for setting up a mega-region, which is a way of implementing a region that is larger than 256 x 256m by taking advantage of partial functionality in Linden Lab viewers. For a fully OpenSimulator specific solution please see Varregions.
The RealXtend modules for OpenSimulator have not been updated for a long time and should be considered dead. However, this information may be useful for historical purposes.
- ModRex – How to setup the RealXtend server module
- RealXtend Viewer Linux – This tutorial describes how to use the RealXtend viewer on Linux, using wine
If you’ve written a tutorial or guide on this wiki or on an external site, then please feel free to add a link here and/or on more specific topic pages.
- OSHT – OpenSim HowTo: Configuring a Grid. This tutorial describes how to install and configure OpenSimulator in grid mode on a Linux platform.
- Linux Gridserver, the ubuntu way the quick and dirty way to install opensim under ubuntu (Linux)
- Wiimote – How to use a wiimote/nunchuk controller with the OpenSimulator viewer (Linux)
- Cacti – Generate Serverstats using the Cacti-Tool and SNMP (Linux)
- Installing an openSUSE 11.1 Minimal server setup for an OpenSimulator server – Quick and Dirty setup on an openSUSE 11.1 server
- Streaming Media in OpenSim
- Chapter & Metaverse – Full suite of tutorials, tips and tricks, for the Windows user (Windows) Also very useful for Linux users!
- How to install osmodules on Windows using IIS – How to install osmodules on windows using IIS
- Getting Started with Region Modules – The Hello World of OpenSimulator application development
- Using L3DT – How to create custom terrains
- Detailed cross-region terrain making – A workflow for creating large cross-region custom terrains
- How to make a good Terrain (includes 4 programs to use)
- Japanese Manual for Construction of OpenSimulator Server System on Linux by NSL (Sorry, Japanese only)
- David W. Deeds’ OpenSimulator School Quick Start Guide – David W. Deeds’ OpenSimulator School Quick Start Guide courtesy of Changchun American International School. Has lots of useful and interesting info, including lesson plans.
- OpenSimSearch – Search for your OpenSimulator
- ServerStats – RRD/Proc serverstats using the OpenSimulator module for Berlios Serverstats (Linux)